IoM TT 2015 Part 4. Please Drive With Care…Pics

Home Forums Meetings and events IoM TT 2015 Part 4. Please Drive With Care…Pics

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Radar

Only two more days left of our TT week and so far it had been a rip-roaring success. Well sorry to disappoint everybody but today tuned out to be no different! Don got his bike sorted on the spot at the IoM BMW dealers and all the team was on hand when on the recommendation of our land lady we headed for a spot back at Cronk-Y-Voddy but a touch further down the straight.  We parked our bikes in a field behind the straight along with dozens of others and tried to make our way down to the spot we had been told about. Well it was like an assault course and came complete with bogs: We had to battle through undergrowth, ‘yump’ across a stream and clamber over a fence and onto the back of a steep sided grass bank to watch the races. Mountain goat Steve was loving all this, I on the other had was having little bother and much to the amusement of the others wound up shin deep in mud a one point, doing a very passable impression of a swamp donkey…deep joy…

DSCN2634R_zpsduwo5trl.jpg
    Assault course being tackled

DSCN2642R_zpspy5mr0kb.jpg
    In the words of Flanders and Swan…’Mud, Mud, glorious mud! (look it up)

I eventually clambered onto the bank alongside the rest of the lads, covered in mud, sweating and somewhat out of puff…at was at this point another spectator pointed there was a nice easy path a bit further down the field…great…On the upside I least I wouldn’t have to make the trip back to my bike with the music from Mission Impossible playing my head!
    It was a little while before racing was due to start, and I surveyed our vantage point. We had a good spot with undulating straight leading into a sweeping right hander. I noted the roadside  ‘Cronk-y-Voddy – Please drive with care’ sign with a wry smile…

DSCN2650R_zpsse9hjbfl.jpg
    Oh the irony…

I won’t mess about: the racing action from here was truly amazing and right from the off as the first of the 600s literally screamed past inches from me  at God knows what speed. It was a real jaw dropping moment, and the buzz didn’t fade all afternoon as bike after bike hurtled through this section. You could hear them approach, howling in top gear, surely right on the rev limit then in instant they were gone and off towards the bend and out of sight in 3 shattering seconds. The noise, the sound wave you couldn’t  merely hear but actually feel….wow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXe09SEqQcM&feature=youtu.be

The 600s and 675s were so fast that I barely credit that anything could go through there any quicker this side of a constellation class star ship at full warp! (showing my nerdy side here, but what the hell).  Hutchinson won this one with Kiwi Anstey and Guy Martin finally having an untroubled race to complete the podium positions.
    The sidecar race was equally impressive. This time we did get to cheer on our local hero Hanks as the veteran racer finished this time, but the race was won by the Birchall brothers. It was interesting to note the differing styles of the passengers as they attacked the bend. So dramatic, this close to the action.
    I couldn’t comprehend how anything could come through this section faster than the 600s we witnessed earlier, but when I saw the riders for the Senior practise on all out race bikes I was genuinely shocked that elevated speed was really apparent. Mind blowing is a well worn cliché, but here it applied in full. But as if that wasn’t enough Kawasaki decided to let their raw wild animal the H2R off the leash for a ‘demonstration’ lap. Generally demo laps conjure up bikes tootling past whilst their riders waving at an appreciative crowd…not this demo lap, oh Lord no…this ‘demo’ peaked at no less than 206mph!! Hillier going faster than even the senior TT bikes..incredible and a fleeting glimpse as it flashed past was truly awesome.

DSCN2651R_zps86aqlv0i.jpg
    Close to the Hedge…

DSCN2653R_zps6mu16nwu.jpg
    No idea who it is, but they were shifting!

DSCN2657R_zpszewwx4nf.jpg
    Meanwhile Don remains as cool as ever as he surveys yet more of his land…

DSCN2679R_zpskub1f8ld.jpg
    Sidecar action

DSCN2701R_zpslakpyuyn.jpg
    Mick and Geoff close to the speeding racers

DSCN2645R_zpsantvknw0.jpg
    Having a terrible time…another Boy Band album cover in the making…or not

DSCN2713R_zpsqqtwdndo.jpg
    Senior practice and getting some air

DSCN2720R_zps3k0zbnlb.jpg
    Snarling H2R

DSCN2723R_zps8vpd3opm.jpg
    WSB riders pootle past (comparatively)

So an incredible days race watching and yet again the weather was glorious and the setting stunning. A near perfect days viewing was rounded off by seeing a group of WSB riders come past on a demo lap, although they were doing a bit less than 200mph…This was our last day of race action before heading home so to have such a tremendous day was very lucky. So much in keeping with the pattern for the week. I even managed to bump into brother in law for a chat post race, as purely by chance I had parked my bike opposite his car.

DSCN2730R_zpspx5erh5v.jpg
    Chance family reunion…

We headed back to base on a scenic run over the mountain, again missing the traffic and being treated to some really wonderful views. We parked up and took in the peace and quiet at the idyllic Lake Baldwin. So typical of this island that within minutes you go from watching some of the fastest most dramatic racing anywhere, to chilling out at a deserted lakeside.

DSCN2741R_zpspunbftpu.jpg
    How hard can it be to get lost on an island?

DSCN2746R_zpsfcbypwdo.jpg
    DSCN2755R_zpsqntvxfhz.jpg
    DSCN2762R_zpsempmnn3b.jpg
    DSCN2765R_zpsde75azup.jpg
    DSCN2768R_zpsigavkws9.jpg
    DSCN2772R_zpsiuupcx8q.jpg
    DSCN2778R_zpsnysr8iwr.jpg
    Taking the scenic route…far from the madding crowd

DSCN2791R_zpsacfxelyp.jpg
    Andy and Steve take in a pre pint, pint back at the digs in Peel…

Back in Peel we headed for the beach side Marine Hotel for a post race day debrief and meal. The place is full of race fans and has a great atmosphere even if the decor is a bit dated and the fabric of the building somewhat careworn. But is a great place and the meals were hearty and a reasonable price. I headed outside to get some air and admire a near perfect 98 R1 that was parked up outside.

DSCN2799R_zpslcf744wa.jpg
    Me want…

I got chatting to a few lads including a BMW salesman who reckons he could get me to have one…hmmm, we shall see…not convinced. I even bumped into my brother in law again and we all enjoyed having a pint and the craic on warm summers evening as the sun set on a superb day while above us, across the bay the majestic castle silently kept guard. 

imperialdata
    Keymaster

Excellent write up you old mud-plugger! The sun was shining all the time it seems?

elessimo
    Participant

That Cronk-Y-Voddy day……

P1070407_zpsbwspb5v0.jpg
    A good day’s swamp-bashing  ;)

P1070408_zpsz8ybqgsq.jpg
    A relieved Radar makes it through alive…

DSC_2893_zpsxzyapccw.jpg
    Close to the edge

DSC_2923_zpswqumc4dy.jpg
    John McGuinness

DSC_2971_zpsllzmkqoh.jpg
    Slow down!

DSC_3024_zpswekefq9h.jpg
    Bucolic racing

DSC_3208_zpsoucfo3x7.jpg
    Geoff the photographer

DSC_3257_zpsvsnl6u6a.jpg
    Cool….

DSC_3337_zpssa0rwlua.jpg
    John McGuinness again….

DSC_3364_zpsaukmu2p1.jpg
    Bruce Anstey in action

DSC_3424_zpsy31gixmx.jpg
    H2R in action…..

P1070432_zpsx2jforrw.jpg
    On the mountain

P1070445_zps9udytdp2.jpg
    Over the mountain roads

P1070447_zpscuw0n51y.jpg
    Ahhh……bluebells……

P1070453_zps4gkirwoq.jpg
    Away from the 19,993 other bikes queueing on the main roads….

Classic day…..  8)

Radar

Cheers Steve, great pictures. I linked in a video clip taken by Julian too

imperialdata
    Keymaster

Simply stunning video.  I wouldn’t be standing that close to the road though, imagine that hitting you. It’d probably slice you in half!  :o

Radar

Simply stunning video.  I wouldn’t be standing that close to the road though, imagine that hitting you. It’d probably slice you in half!  :o

There was a incident there a couple of years back, or possibly last year where spectators were hurt. We didn’t know this until AFTER we had spent the day there!

Radar

This reminded me of Cronk Y Voddy, if only for the reaction

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iOoiEbtf2w&feature=youtu.be

Radar

This link gives a few interesting insights

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-34463981

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.